Definition of odor hazards:
An odor hazard occurs when one or more of the following conditions occurs:
- At least 3 independent complaints of odor from different places, received by the Ministry for Environmental Protection, over 24 hours, or at least 10 independent complaints that have been received within 30 days.
- The odor intensity as determined by a sniffing team on site, exceeds: for a residential area: degree 0, A mixed area: degree 1, other area: 3.
- The odor concentration in odor units per cubic meter of air (OU/m3) as a calculated hourly average for evaluating the effect of any odor source that exceeds: for a residential area: 1 OU/m3, for a mixed area: 5 OU/m3, for another area: 10 OU/m3
The odor hazard department employs five testers who are qualified to perform ambient air tests by the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Labor – work control division.
Ecological Laboratories A.P. Ltd provides a service package that includes:
- Preparation of a plant testing and accompaniment plan until receipt of approval from the competent authority (including characterization of processes, detailed plan at the level of each separate pollutant, schedule).
- Locating and quantification of odor hazard sources.
- Odor sampling on site and intensity evaluation in the laboratory using a laboratory olfactometer and team of panelists.
- Deploying an odor detection team on site for measuring odor distribution using portable olfactometers.
- Theoretical evaluation of odor dispersal using the AERMOD model.
- Preparation of a report in Hebrew and English
- Technical support for the ordering party and explanation of the report